Sunday, April 22, 2012

What It All Means, Ch. 10, p. 147

Ch.10, meaning. p. 147

The overall intent of this book is to aid educators in understanding the shifts in the paradigm of teaching.  Teachers need to become aware that all information is transferred to the web globally to connect knowledge together.  Teachers must become literate in publishing, editing, and managing information available online, and be able to connect to others.  We no longer will be dependant on texts or develop traditional student-teacher relationships.  We will be accessing open-source learning.  The idea is that everyone will be creating and sharing knowledge using multimedia. Learning will be collaborative.

Our teaching will veer away from being an all-knowing lecturer to becoming a guide to a wider conversation.  Teachers will be using wikis, blogs, web sites, discussion groups, etc., to advance content.  Students will need to be able to locate these sources (and many others) to interpret the material in their own way.  We will ask student to produce work that is to be shared, added to and refined by others.  Students will find that their work is meaningful, not just produce something to be thrown away at the end of the semester.  They will demonstrate mastery of material by the work that they are able to contribute to the growing body of knowledge; not by taking a test. This is a very tall order.

This book was a real eye-opener for me.  When I finished it, I realized how far I have to go and how much I have to learn.  I can easily see how useful these tools will be in my classroom, but I am always concerned about safety and the diminished emphasis on using your own brain power.  I believe my students would find any of these tools invaluable to helping them master the content in my classroom, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment