Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wikis, Ch. 4

Wikis, Ch. 4 

A wiki is a web site where anyone can post anything and anyone can edit it.  This chapter gives the specific details on how to create a wiki.  Several examples of teachers using wikis as classroom tools were included.  The teachers and students posted content, interviews, presentations and references.  Blogs, podcasts and YouTube videos were linked in.  The wikis were collaborative pieces that started in the classroom and spread outward.

Initially I was quite excited about this web tool.  As a math teacher, it could be a great way to help students and for student to help each other.  They wouldn't have to be so dependant on me.  I found this great site (7math.wikispaces.com/).   However, I found that the formatting of a wiki is a continual struggle .  I tried entering tables fore example; some worked well, other were scrambled.  I found it relatively easy to post pictures, gadgets and videos; but my larger concern is the difficulty of posting formulas or step-by-step help without it being scrambled.  I will continue to work with this, however, because I think the students could overcome these obstacles.

1 comment:

  1. I checked out the math wiki you site. I found some of the links on the site to be useful. One of them was a millionaire game with proportions. I am sure that students would enjoy playing the game.

    ReplyDelete